Merry Christmas everyone! If you’re staying in this Christmas day and looking for something to do with your kids or loved ones, this festive cookies recipe is sure to bring lots of fun to your home this festive season!
Pretty Lil Things Festive Cookies Recipe
Part I: Sugar Cookies
¾ cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ½ cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
Yields around 40 cookies depending size of cookies
1. Cream together butter and sugar with electric mixer until smooth, then beat in eggs and vanilla one at a time.
2. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together and fold into the creamed mixture.
3. Cover and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
4. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius or 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Roll out dough on floured surface ¼ to ½ inch thick, then cut into shapes with cookie cutter.
6. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
Part II: Cookie Icing
¼ cup (skim) milk, or as needed (for sugar mixture in Step 1)
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
¼ cup white sugar
2 tablespoon water
2 tablespoon (skim) milk (for sugar syrup in Step 2)
Assorted food coloring (optional)
1. Add milk gradually to confectioner’s sugar and beat until smooth. Make sure to add the milk a little at a time until the mixture is smooth enough to blend together.
2. Combine white sugar, water, and 2 tablespoon milk in a small saucepan over medium heat, simmering and stirring until dissolved and a sugar syrup is created.
3. While sugar syrup is still warm and dissolved, add ½ tablespoon of sugar syrup into confectioner’s sugar mixture and beat until smooth. Add more sugar syrup if needed
4. Optional: Divide icing into separate bowls and add food coloring to form desired colors.
5. Add icing cookies with a pastry brush or the back of a spoon.